SRAM eTap AXS front and rear derailleurs, Eagle AXS rear derailleurs, and Reverb AXS seatposts using firmware version 2.17.0 can exhibit a ‘will not wake’ symptom after sitting unused for an extended period of time. This symptom causes no harm to the component, and firmware version 2.17.0 has been removed for download.
The products below can be affected if firmware 2.17.0 is installed.
- RED eTap AXS rear derailleur – Max 33t
- RED eTap AXS rear derailleur – Max 36t
- RED eTap AXS front derailleur
- Force eTap AXS rear derailleur – Max 33t
- Force eTap AXS rear derailleur – Max 36t
- Force eTap AXS front derailleur
- Force eTap AXS front derailleur – Wide
- SRAM Rival eTap AXS rear derailleur – Max 36t
- SRAM Rival eTap AXS front derailleur
- SRAM Rival eTap AXS front derailleur – Wide
- XX1 / X01 / GX Eagle AXS rear derailleurs
- Reverb AXS.
*This issue does NOT relate to any AXS shifter or BlipBox.
If you own a component in the ‘involved products’ list, connect it to the AXS Mobile App and verify the firmware version.
1) Lightly shake your bike or press and release the component’s AXS button to wake them from sleep mode.
2) Select [Connect]. Allow the app 5-10 seconds to connect.
3) Select a component to enter its Part Menu.
4) If Firmware Version shows 2.17.0, perform the firmware rollback outlined in the instructions below.
*If the component has a firmware version that is not 2.17.0, no action is required.
Perform a firmware rollback on any AXS derailleur or Reverb seatpost with firmware 2.17.0.
FIRMWARE ROLLBACK INSTRUCTIONS:
1) Place the component into ‘firmware update’ mode.
1.a) Remove the battery from the derailleur or seatpost.
1.b) Press and hold down the component’s AXS button while installing the battery.
If successful, the led will begin flashing on and off. The component will remain in ‘firmware update’ mode for 30 seconds.
2) Connect the component to the AXS mobile app.
2.a) Open the AXS Mobile App. Ensure that Bluetooth is enabled and that your phone is connected to a cellular or Wi-Fi network.
2.b) The component in the ‘firmware update’ mode should appear with the notice, “Firmware update required.” Select the component that displays this alert to begin the update.
2.c) If the component does not appear in the app, ensure its LED is still flashing and select search.
3) The update will begin immediately and install the firmware version that preceded 2.17.0. The orange/amber LED on the component will flash rapidly, and the app will display the update progress. Keep the app active and stay within Bluetooth range until the update is completed.
NOTICE: If the firmware update is not progressing and/or timing out, see the comment section at the bottom of this article for a suggested fix.
Tech Tip | The estimated time to complete a component firmware update is three minutes, plus or minus 30 seconds.
4) Select OK to exit. Connection to the AXS Mobile App is reset after a firmware update completes.
5) Reconnect the component to the AXS Mobile App and verify that the rollback was successful.
5.a) Lightly shake your bike or press and release the component’s AXS button to wake them from sleep mode.
5.b) Select [Connect]. Allow the app 5-10 seconds to connect.
5.c) Select the component that was just updated to enter its Part Menu and ensure the firmware version is no longer 2.17.0
6) Repeat this process with any component using firmware 2.17.0.