Yes. Not using the recommended tool can damage the chain and ultimately cause the chain to fail and/or break. Check out our complete document on chain tool compatibility for our current list of compatible tools.
Articles in this section
- Is a special chain tool required for new RED and Force eTap AXS™ road chains?
- Is a special cassette tool required to install or remove SRAM RED and Force eTap AXS™ road cassettes?
- Are special chain tools, chain pliers, or chain whips required to work on SRAM RED eTap AXS™ drivetrains?
- Is a special chain tool required for new SRAM RED AXS Flattop road chains?
- How do I size a chain for a 1x SRAM eTap AXS drivetrain?
- How do I size a chain for a 2x SRAM eTap AXS drivetrain?